Founded in 2000 by Güven Incirlioglu (Izmir, Turkey) and Hakan Topal (New York) as a transatlantic collaboration, xurban_collective’s projects focus on contemporary social, political and territorial issues such as military confinement and state violence, urban segregation and new global immigration patterns. The collective’s work has been exhibited at the Venice Biennale, the Istanbul Biennial, PS1/MoMA (New York), Apexart (New York), Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Contemporary (Vienna), Kunst-Werke (Berlin), ZKM Center for Art and Media (Karlsruhe, Germany), Pratt Institute Manhattan Gallery (New York), and National Contemporary Art Museum (Athens), among others.
Over the last 12 years, collective realized numerous projects with the help of many comrades, collaborators and production assistants including Mahir Yavuz, Atif Akin, M. Ali Uzelgun, Ali Demirel, Elif Aksit, Akin Gulseven, Jillian McDonald and Bulet Ozturk, Boyun Yand and Magdalena Wisniowska with the help og many dedicated curators and cultural producers.
"/" means 'active projects'
The Sea-Image: Visual Manifestations of Port Cities and Global Waters
Sea of Marble / Mermer Denizi
La Ville Blanc / Die Weisser Stadt
Proposed but not Engaged
The Cracked Sea of Marble
Void: A View from Acropolis /
Refused / Reddedildi
The Containment Contained / Zoraki Ihtiva
Confessions: Strong from East_EastWest
Catastrophe :On the Outside
Same As Inside/Içi Disi Bir: Felaket
Domestic Labor, Knitting and alternative networks: Knit++
We Are Not Professionals
Trademarks and the Clash of Civilizations:
An Interim Report: Istanbul Exclusive
Nullify the Void
Shock & Awe
Diagolues Accross Borders
The City of Ruins
In Memoriam Derelicti...
Bes Sehir / Five Cities
Kursun Asker / Lead Soldier
b a c k t o l i f e
Paranomic-Distributions I . II
Off The Book / Kayitdisi Mekanlar
Kabil Körfezi / Gulf of Kabul:
Bir Koy, Bes Al
A 7 holes trip in the cave
1. Globalisation was a lie…
2. Global is the free floating capital, defying national borders, penetrating…
3. Commodity/spectacle is in worldwide circulation, unlike peoples of the world...
4. The 'liberal' aims at the liberation of capital, not the freedom.Money liberates, and for the rest it is the military-police state as usual...
5. To Tolstoy, "Government is Violence." But to think that the salvation lies in the initiative of the multi-national corporation appears as a grave mistake...
6. The civil society should be constructed outside the state and the capitalist sponsor networks. "Non-profit organizations are traps...
7. The autonomy of culture and identity can exist as being autonomous only from commerce…
8. The apparent diffusion of ownership and the swift moves of the capital aim at manipulation. No market index is justified by the actual production, just as no value for labor is just...
9. The global culture of capitalism breeds nationalism and fanaticism. The thugs kill for recognition...
10. The only transnational territory is still the world wide web, as long as it is not sold out in a merger with English as the transnational language...
11. Power corrupts, be it official or unofficial. The xurbanite aims at stripping the self off any power moves...
xurban_collective, 2000 - ny-ist